Monday, July 13, 2009

Fact about Mekong Fishing pond

Mekong Fishing With Malaysian foot Fishing (Thailand)

I got a PM from a nice guy from malaysia kaki. He came to thailand for a week long conferance and would like to try out mekong fishing.
I did suggest him BSR but after seeing me catching those big mekong at my local mekong pond, he wanted to give it a try. BSR he said can try anytime. Moreover, he prefer the local scenery.

As usual, I picked him up at around 8.15am and off we headed down to the local mekong pond. The weather I tell you, is NOT getting any warmer. Since mekong catfish is a tropical fihes, weather play a part during these period of time. You can cast all you want but the fish just remain inactive for most part of the day. But fish still fish, they need to eat 1 way or another but at slower rate.


The whole day we were there, our side of the pond . Those thai anglers only landed 5 mekongs which is very slow if you ask me. We caught quite a number of patins but still no sight of our mekong.

I refused to give up, went back to get more dough baitS (we used up almost 10kg of it)and continued to fish late into the night.

I told Ameer, it only matter of time before the fish will start to bite. True enough, at 7.50pm, there was a sudden long drag on his daiwa reel.His main line keep going out non stop. All he can do was to hold onto the rod and watch.....

Btw, this is his very first time encounter a mekong fight.He did quite a lots of deepwater fishing but nothing come close to this sort of fishing in freshwater pond. Only can be found in thailand and 1-2 ponds of malaysia.

We tighten the tension a few times but still the fish just too strong and continued to put pressure on his daiwa reel. It was quite dark and we can't see the where the fish swam to?

Usually, the thai anglers will lower the rod into the water and pull it up. From there you can roughly tell where the fish is heading by looking at the fish line reflected by the moonlight.

Since most of my hooks use for mekong fishing are all debugged, I'm worry that he may lose the fish by doing that. So all I told him to do was to maintain tight tension and wait for a chance to pull back the fish. :roll:

It took him almost 15 mins to finally landed the fish.
The fish handler who helped us to pull up the fish estimated the fish at more than 40kg. I just put at 40kg. It told him I caught a mekong @ 35kg just yesterday morning, his fish is much bigger than mine. And this 40kg mekong was his very first mekong , what a good way to end the day.


Too bad, the night was just too dark for me to take any video clip of this big catch. We took several photo shots of the fish & him holding the big fish. He just too tried to hold up the fish in upright position for photo shot. He has no more strength left.

He has his fun today. He will be coming back for more mekongs with his group of fishing kaki from malaysia. Next trip , I'll suggest him to go BSR for a change. At least you can tell ppls that you've been there, done it.


Here the photo shots.

Enjoys !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment